Friday, February 11, 2022

Once Upon a Time in Hawaii

Hamauma Bay @ Island of O'ahu 

So, the story goes: Two months before our Zion National Park trip, I received a call and an e-mail from a lady, who was the vice principal from my former workplace like 12 years ago in San Diego. She left a message telling me that someone I knew from Utah was looking for me. Utah? I didn’t know anybody from Utah… was it a scam? 

I found it difficult to restrain my curiosity so I responded to the call. It turned out to be my long lost friend from high school. I could feel my heart pumping so fast when I got her number. We texted each other for hours that night, trying to catch up with each other’s lives. I told her about our family's upcoming trip to Utah and she managed to meet me at Zion despite the 5 hours drive from Salt Lake City! (We were so excited to see each other that we completely forgot to take a picture for this precious moment…)  


What made this story even more unbelievable was that the "high school" I mentioned earlier was not the one I went to in the United States. It was the high school that I attended for three months in Taiwan right before I moved to the US! This friend of mine later on came to the US and stayed in Hawaii for several years. She once hosted an exceptional tour and took me around the entire Island of Oahu! I couldn't recall how we established our contact in the beginning; but we kept in touch during those school years until we started exploring something new outside of school. We began our new identity as someone's employee, a wife, and then a mother, yet somehow the friendship remains intact. She is no doubt the most sincere and decent person I've known and I will forever cherish this friendship!

Flashback to 2005

Waikiki Beach
Horseback Riding
Polynesian Cultural Center
Pearl Harbor
Dole Plantation
Hawaiian famous Shave Ice
Snorkeling at Hamauma Bay 
Brigham Young University
The Hole in the Rock @ La'ia Point on Oahu's North Shore

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...